This weekend’s recipe is another scrumptious and super-nutritious soup based on one in my original Cranks recipe book. I can’t recommend this tasty concoction highly enough – I was a bit doubtful about the addition of nuts, but they add a lovely flavour and a delicious velvety texture. I am afraid I used chicken stock again, but vegetable stock will work just as well. I really recommend giving it a try.
Carrot, Apple & Cashew Soup
- 500g carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium potato
- 1 large cooking apple
- 25g butter
- 25g extra virgin coconut oil (or an extra 25g butter)
- 1 litre stock of your choice
- 50g cashews
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the veg and fruit according to your preference (I scrape the carrots, peel the potato and potato, and just core the apple, leaving the skin on). Chop roughly.
- Melt the coconut oil and butter (or butter if you don’t use coconut oil) gently in a large pan, then add the fruit and veg and sautée for about 5 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Add all the other ingredients, bring to a gentle simmer and then cook, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and use a stick blender or goblet blender to blend the soup, then reheat gently to serve.