Swap full! Thank you!
Well, it doesn’t seem like 5 minutes since the last ATC swap ended, but it seems such a shame not to do a winter/Christmas themed swap, I decided to just go for it, and hope that there are enough people with similar enthusiasm!
And there’s some exciting news this time round… we have a sponsor! The lovely Nicole at Cloud Craft has given swap participants (and very kindly, Very Berry readers) a 10% discount for the duration of the swap… I will reveal the code on Monday 10 November.
Nicole sells a brilliant range of 100% pure wool felt, beautiful DMC threads in gorgeous colours, loads of lovely aida and linen for hand-stitching, and much much more… Please pop round and check out the goodies all ready for the buying to start next week!
If you don’t know by now… here’s some info about what all this is about:
1) What’s an ATC?
ATC stands for Artist’s Trading Card, and it’s basically the creative, unique and arty version of a business card.
2) OK, so what’s the point of an ATC?
It’s a way to be creative on a small scale, try out new techniques and skills in a non-threatening way. Lots of people collect these mini pieces of art, swap them, and give them as gifts.
3) Ok, I’m interested, tell me the details – What size is an ATC?
Your ATC must measure 3.5″x2.5″ (6.4cm by 8.9cm) – about the size of a business card. You can use the card in either portrait or landscape orientation. Don’t make the card too thick – no more than 1/8″ (3-4mm) please.
4) But what’s a textile ATC?
The majority of your ATC must be fabric and there must be at least a little bit of stitching involved. But otherwise, the world is your oyster. You can use any techniques that you want to try, e.g. applique, embroidery, patchwork, beading, cross-stitch, fusing fabrics, colouring fabrics, using fabric paints or ink stamps, you can even include crochet, weaving or knitting.
5) I’m really interested – where can I see some textile ATCs?
There is a Very Berry ATC swap group on Flickr, where you can see photos of cards made for previous swaps.
6) Wow – they are brilliant, I’m in, where do I sign up?
- Hang on, read the rules first!
- You will make 1 ATC and receive 1 ATC in return.
- Your card must:
- be the right size.
- fit the theme.
- include your name and the date on reverse (you can include your web address/email and the title of your card too if you want to).
- The theme is ‘Winter Sparkle’ – please feel free to interpret that however you like! Please only use a Christmassy theme if your partner is ok with it (I will let you know!).
- Please sign up by leaving a comment on this post and dropping me an email at veryberryhandmade (at) gmail (dot) com by 6pm on Thursday 6th November. I will send you an email with a few questions (just a bit of basic info for the swap) by Friday 7th November and you must respond by lunchtime on Monday 10th November. Partners will be assigned by Tuesday 11th November.
- It will be a secret swap (you will not be sending to the person you receive your card from) so please don’t let your partner know who you are!
- Participation is open to anyone anywhere in the world (the ATCs wont be too pricey to send), so please be prepared to send overseas if you join in (but I will *try* to make exceptions if you are really stuck for cash… just let me know).
- Cards must be posted during the week 8-13th December (or a little earlier if you are posting overseas and you can manage it). The aim is to have it with your partner for Christmas/New Year.
- Please do not include anything else in your parcel, except a little note if you like!
- Once you have received your ATC, you must get in touch with your partner to say thanks… (I know, I don’t need to say this…!).
- If you blog, use FB, Twitter or Instagram, please feel free to share your ATC swap progress, and definitely share pictures of the ATC you receive from your swap partner, if you can.
- Serious bit: Before signing up, please think for a minute whether you can put aside enough time to make something lovely and thoughtful for your swap partner, and whether you will be able to meet the deadlines.
That’s it for now – leave a comment if you are in! Oh, and here’s a little button if you want one for your blog – just copy and paste the code below.
<div align="center"><a href="http://veryberryhandmade.co.uk/2014/11/04/winter-textile-atc-swap-starts-here/" title="Winter Textile ATC Swap Starts Here! "><img src="https://veryberryhandmade.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/winter-sparkle-atc-swap-mini.jpg" alt="Winter Textile ATC Swap Starts Here! " style="border:none;" /></a></div>